battle, RPG, JRPG, turn-based, System
Asset Title: ARES Battle Engine
Publisher: Patrick Boelens
Category: templates, systems
More Details about this asset:
Website | Demo | Manual | Discord
ARES is a turn-based battle engine designed with flexibility and ease of use in mind. Being well aware that each game is different and will have its own unique requirements, ARES provides a solid system for developers to use and build upon.
The package offers everything you would expect from a typical battle engine. This includes:
• A solid foundation for turn-based battle games.
• Tons of out-of-the-box customization options like “start of round” and “start of turn” action selection modes, item consumption moments, effect orders and more.
• A complete workflow that handles correct timing and creation of animations, audio, instantiations and effects processing.
• Easy to create and highly customizable character stats, abilities, items, status afflictions and environment variables – no code required.
• Per-actor and per-group battle inventories (in both linear and stacked-item implementations).
• Unlimited customization through both events and external extensions, as well as internal code.
• A full 3D example scene to help get you started.
• Comprehensive documentation in the form of a manual and in-code comments.
ARES has gone through many iterations before finally landing on this design. It is a robust and extendable system featuring clean, well-commented code that is made with painless extension in mind. It covers a lot of complex situations and edge cases that might not be immediately obvious, and handles them gracefully, again putting a lot of control in the hands of the developer through various battle rules and callbacks.
For more information and to see if this asset is a good fit for your project, please check out the website or take a look at the manual.